Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Journey of Love - Patience - part 1

A Journey of Love – Patience part 1

For February, in honor of Valentine’s Day, I will be touching on the topic of love.  I will not claim to be an expert in this topic but I have a guide to perfect love in the Bible.  I will first be taking a journey through the description of love in the “love chapter,” 1 Corinthians 13.

I will start out the month with the concept that love is patient.  Three times in the great love poem that is the Song of Solomon it is written to not awaken love too early.  As my daughter grows up, I have been amazed at how early some of her classmates have gone boy crazy.  As early as first grade, there were kids saying they were in love.  Now that she is in eighth grade… ugh!  At least I can say that she has kept a level head herself! 
Most of us realize that we should not seek romantic love at too young of an age.  Do we realize that there are times when it is not good to “awaken love” as adults?  Most of us go through times when we are not ready for romantic love.  There are times when we need time to get our lives in order.  We may be in need of getting closer to the Lord before we get close to another person.  There may also be issues in our lives that need to be dealt with first. 

Eight years ago, I went through a separation and divorce.  I won’t go through any details here.  What I will say is that, after I came out of it, I believe that I was biblically released to seek a new wife.  That took a while.  I saw other people get remarried after two years and I wondered why I could not find someone that quickly.  I now look back and see that the time alone was very helpful for me.  I am also very blessed that I waited for the right person in Janet.  I did not compromise, nor are we compromising our morals as an engaged couple now.  I believe we will see the positive results of that for the rest of our lives together.

My challenge to you singles is to not be in a rush to find love.  Seek the Lord and His best for you.  Take advantage of the time alone to get closer to the Lord and to deal with anything that would get in the way of a good relationship.  I do not claim that I will be a perfect husband because I waited, but I am certain that I will be a better one.  While you wait patiently, seek to be a better spouse.


Married folks, stayed tuned for tomorrow’s blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment