Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Journey of Love - Not Self Seeking

Journey of Love – Not Self Seeking

I have a friend whose daughter was severely injured at birth.  She has to do everything for her daughter.  She has raised her from birth and stood by her through every trial.  Her daughter can do very little to express her love, but my friend continues to love her through her actions even as her daughter is now a young adult.  She could have institutionalized her, but she wants the best, most personalized care for her so she continues to take care of her.  That is amazing love that is far from self-seeking!  (and if you are reading this, know how much I admire you for that love).

Today’s characteristic is love that does not seek its own.  Probably the most common example of that is the love of a parent.  I know that when my daughter was born I realized that there was nothing that I would not do for her to protect her and try to raise her right.  This is the same kind of love that God showed to us when He sent His only Son to die on the cross for us. 

How can I live out this kind of unselfish love?  First of all, I can put the needs of my (soon to be) wife and children before my own.  Second, I can help my friends without regard to how they could return the favor.  Third, I can help those around me who cannot help themselves, providing food for the hungry, donating to shelters, etc.  Finally, I can share the amazing love of God with those around me, even when I feel I am too shy to share.


What would your list of unselfish love in action look like?  I challenge you to write one today and put it into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment