Thursday, February 20, 2014

Journey of Love - Never Gives Up

Journey of Love – Never Gives Up

It was a surprise snow storm.  I lived in the mountains in Virginia and I had to get home from Roanoke.  Traffic on Interstate 81 stopped when I had almost reached the Dixie Caverns exit.  When I say stopped, I mean completely stopped.  In the left lane, I got out and asked the person in the pickup next to me if they could back up so I could get over to the exit.  He did and then followed me up the old highway, which was in bad shape but at least was not blocked. 

About halfway up Christiansburg Mountain, the wheels on my rear drive pickup began spinning.  The guy following me passed until his wheels started spinning too.  I kept moving forward so I did not let off the gas as I did not want stop and not be able to move again.  The other guy finally gave up and turned around.  He must not have realized he was only 100 yards from the top.  I persevered and made it over and got home.  I later found out that the freeway was stopped for five hours.

Often, relationships can feel like going up a mountain in the snow with rear wheel drive.  It can feel like we are making not progress, just spinning our wheels.  At times we may even feel out of control, like we are going to slide off the road and get hurt.  I am here to tell you that love does not give up.  It will not give up on that marriage that is founded in Him.  It will not give up on the friendship that is true.  It will not give up on family.

I should make it clear that I am not advising people to stay in physically abusive situations.  I am saying that healing is possible if both people in a relationship are willing to seek it.  People are far too willing to give up on marriages instead of trying to work things out.  Be willing to take the effort and fight for it. 

I will confess that I probably should have fought harder for my marriage when my ex-wife sought a divorce.  In hindsight, I should have fought harder for my marriage years before it ended.  Contend for your marriage now.  Don’t wait for it to get out of control!  Seek that love that never gives up.

For you singles (and all of us), you should know that love does not give up on friendship and family either.  If your friend offends you, let them know in love.  Unless your friend is leading you away from God, seek to repair that relationship.  Stay in touch with your family.  Don’t give up on them because they are different from you but continue to show them the Love of God as a family. 


Finally, know that the Love of God never gives up on you.  God is always willing to love you no matter what you have done or said.  You need only turn to Him and He will be right there!  If you do not understand this, talk to me.  Never give up on that relationship with Him.  He will never give up on you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment