Thursday, February 6, 2014

Journey of Love - Not Boastful

Journey of Love – Not Boastful

In high school, I remember science being fun.  I enjoyed preparing a science fair project, but I was far from confident that mine was anywhere near the best.  Somehow, I ran into the science fair judges when they were on their way in.  I joked that they need look no farther than my project.  I was quite pleasantly surprised that my project came in second place.  Later my science teacher admonished me, telling me that it would have made first place if I had not bragged about it.

Most of my life, I have been outwardly confident and inwardly insecure.  When I have bragged, it has been out of insecurity, trying to bolster myself up.  Today’s characteristic of love (still in 1 Corinthians 13:4), Love is not boastful, leaves no room for bragging.  Bragging puts ourselves above others when we should be putting others before ourselves.

So, for those of us who brag out of insecurity, what can we do to stop that?  I have tried to make it a goal of mine to build others confidence.  When I am feeling insecure, I try to channel those feelings into empathy for those around me who may lack confidence and try to give them encouraging words.  I admit that I do not always do this well and sometimes my encouraging words come out more like a boast for myself (like the first paragraph above).  But, I try.


Do you find yourself bragging from time to time?  Take that pride or that insecurity that causes you to brag and direct it towards helping others gain confidence.  Have you encouraged anyone today?  I hope to encourage you to encourage others today.  Be deliberate in your words that they may help someone who is struggling!  Do it today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment