Thursday, February 13, 2014

Journey of Love - Forget It!

Journey of Love – Forget It!


Nelson Mandela once said, “As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.”  We tend to think that holding on to past hurts empowers us when, in fact, it imprisons us.

It is possible to say we forgive while still holding on to the memory of how we have been wronged.  It is in our nature to use those wrongs as ammunition in arguments.  When we do that we are arguing for a personal victory rather than to better our relationships.  Our goal in disagreements should be to better our relationships by seeking to understand each other, not to win our own way.  When we seek only to win, what we win is loneliness, bitterness, and alienation.


I Corinthians 13 says that love keeps no record of wrongs.  If we really want to be free to express love, we will leave those wrongs in the past and go forth with a clean slate.  Let’s let the past stay in the past.  Deal with your issues from the past but don’t let them cripple your future.  (If you are struggling with letting go of your past, a good resource is the book “Life’s Healing Choices” by John Baker.)  I challenge you to let go of those hurts that keep coming up and move forward with the goal of living a life free from the hurts of the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment