Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Kindness

Journey of Love – Kindness

When I first moved to Colorado, I had almost nothing.  I moved here at the beginning of November and when the Christmas season rolled around, I figured that I would make do with a few dollar store decorations.  One evening, I walked into the small group that I was just starting to attend to find that the other members each brought in a portion of their Christmas decorations to give to me.  I was overwhelmed with joy and gratitude.  They added quite a bit of brightness to my Christmas season that year.

Many people encourage others to “practice random acts of kindness.”  I have always had a problem with that concept.  I want my acts of kindness to be deliberate and consistent.  I want to bring joy to others every day.  That is how I choose to live out today’s characteristic of love - “Love is Kind.”  

Kindness can come in the form of encouraging words, gifts, or even time.  When my sister’s husband passed away, I chose to live that kindness by going to visit her.  I say that not to toot my own horn but to let you know of the outpouring of kindness I witnessed when I was there.  She had visitor after visitor.  Nearly every one of them brought some sort of food or gift to help her through that tough time.  That little town of Galax, Virginia truly knows the meaning of kindness.


Here in the big city of Denver, Colorado, it is easy to forget kindness.  Our culture seems to value independence and self-reliance.  I urge you to break out of that mold and share kindness, not just with those you love, but with your neighbors and acquaintances.  Share a smile, an encouraging word, or a gift.  Let people know that they matter!  Encourage them to pass the kindness along.

No comments:

Post a Comment