Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Journey of Love – Not Easily Angered

Journey of Love – Not Easily Angered

As a teenager, I mastered the proverbial art of walking on eggshells.  If I did not do a chore just right, or I was a little late, or I complained about something, I had to endure the wrath of an angry step-father.  It is not surprising that I chose to go to college as far away as possible and left as early as possible.  It was a great relief when I got out of that situation.

Today’s quality of love, that which is not easily angered, was lacking in my step-father.  For whatever reason, he was unable to control his anger and it blocked any possibility of a loving parent/child relationship between us. 

The problem of anger is not limited to step-fathers.  I remember being shocked many years ago by a member of a church small group that I attended confessing his anger problem to the group.  It threatened to destroy his marriage.  I have since come to find out that it is much more common than I would have ever thought. 


Please realize that if you have an anger problem, it is very common, but it is also very important that you deal with it.  One fit of anger can undo a month’s worth of loving behavior.  Seek help from counselors and friends.  If you do not know if you have an anger problem, ask your spouse, your older child, or close friends.  Do not let your anger destroy your love!

No comments:

Post a Comment